The following is a series of handwritten letters my grandmother filed in a scrapbook for me documenting my visit to Disney World in the spring of 1975. She wrote the entries in my voice as if I was telling them to my parents back home. I am so grateful for this gift. I call it a blog, because it is no different than what I am doing nearly 40 years later when I archive the stories of my kids.

Tuesday, April 22, 1975

Our day started with a knock at the door. It was breakfast. Then we took the bus and monorail to Disney World. We went to Fantasyland. Nan and I went on the Cinderella Carousel while Karen and Grandpa went to Space Mountain. They were soon back – at 9:15am there was a 2 and a half hour wait to get on.

space mountain

Then all the Disney characters came around. Karen and I went on the Dumbo ride and also the Snow White ride. We hurried over to the Haunted House. I was scared by Grandpa carried me and I sat with him. It was scary-funny. It was off then to the Pirates of the Caribbean. It was really nice. Lots to see.

There were line ups to get into everything. Karen and I didn’t want to line up. We did some shopping. We had lunch. Nan and Grandpa lined up while Karen and I watched a Walt Disney show.

After lunch we went on a ride by Eastern Airlines, it was fun. We went down Main Street, did some more shopping then Grandpa and I went to the movies while “the girls looked in the stores.”

At 3 o’clock, we took the bus over to Fort Wilderness. Did we have fun! Karen went horseback riding, I couldnt got because I had to be 9. I went to the petting farm. The goats were so hungry. We walked over to the beach. I had fun playing in a miniature fort with a boy. He lent me a gun.

disney ticket 1975

Grandpa rented a speed boat and I went out riding for 1/2 an hour. Nan waited on the dock. When Karen came back from riding, she and I went back to the petting farm. We played til 6:30 when we went to Pioneer Hall for dinner. It was great. We had corn on the cob, chicken, baked beans, and ribs. Boy it was good. The show was fun. One of the girl dancers came and kissed Grandpa and me. We had a real fun afternoon and night at Fort Wilderness.

The bus brought us right back to our motel. I had a hot bath, Karen went swimming. After I was ready for bed, Nan and Grandpa went out to the hotel stores.

Tomorrow we leave Disney World. Oh, I forgot. We went back on the raceway today, but Karen beat me. Tomorrow it is off to Circus World. The race car was the best thing in Disney World.


(Visited 171 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply